Skip to main content
Press Release

Keppel to Increase Plant Efficiency in Singapore with First in South East Asia Investment in GE’s GT26 HE Upgrade

July 20, 2021
  • GE’s GT26 High Efficiency (HE) solution increases performance of the GT26 platform through advanced technologies from GE’s H-Class, F-Class and Additive Manufacturing
  • Keppel Merlimau Cogen’s (KMC) unit will be the first GT26 HE upgrade in Singapore and in South East Asia, aiming to improve efficiency and achieve fuel savings that will lead to abate up to approximately 50,000,000 kilowatt-hour equivalent of carbon emissions each year

JURONG ISLAND, SINGAPORE —July  20, 2021—Continuing to keep its gas turbine fleet competitive in Singapore’s energy marketplace, Keppel Infrastructure today announced the award of a upgrade contract to GE’s Gas Power business to modernize KMC’s existing GT26 unit at the combined cycle power plant in Jurong Island, Singapore. With GE’s technology breakthroughs across every major component of this frame – turbine, compressor and combustor – the GT26 HE upgrade, the most advanced upgrade available for the GT26, can provide significant improvements for an F-class combined cycle gas turbine. The upgrade will increase the unit’s efficiency, extend maintenance intervals, and abate up to approximately 50,000,000 kilowatt-hour equivalent of  carbon emissions each year in line with the government’s goals to lower Singapore’s carbon footprint. 

“We selected GE’s GT26 HE solution because of its excellent part load efficiency and its fuel-flexible combustion system, the most advanced solution ever introduced on a GT26 gas turbine”, said Cindy Lim, Chief Executive Officer, Keppel Infrastructure. “With this innovative upgrade, our power station will benefit from improved efficiency with a lower carbon footprint, in line with the Keppel Group’s Vision 2030 sustainability goals.”

“We are proud to be building on the strength of our long-standing relationship with Keppel to provide the first HE upgrade in Singapore and in South East Asia. GE and Keppel worked to identify upgrade solutions that could be deployed to increase the output, efficiency, flexibility, lifespan, and availability of its gas turbines, while reducing fuel consumption and environmental impact” said Ramesh Singaram, President and CEO of Asia, GE Gas Power. “Upgrading existing power plants—with life extension and efficiency programs like the GT26HE—ensure we are using existing assets to help provide more efficient, reliable power today and tomorrow. Keppel chose GE’s advanced technology to take a first mover advantage to blend the major F-class and H-class technologies in the Singapore marketplace and help KMC to maintain its position as a leader and future competitiveness.” 





About Keppel

Keppel Merlimau Cogen is 51% owned by Keppel Infrastructure Trust with the remaining 49% owned by a wholly owned subsidiary of Keppel Infrastructure Holdings Pte. Ltd.. The Plant is the first independent power project to enter the Singapore electricity market since the National Electricity Market of Singapore was implemented in January 2003. Keppel Merlimau Cogen plant has been operating since 2007 with a good track record of efficiency and reliability and has a total generation capacity of 1,300 MW.


For further information:

Laura Aresi
Media Relation Leader
GE Gas Power
[email protected]

Zatalini Zulkiply
Regional Communications Leader
GE Gas Power
[email protected]
Tel +6017 224 5752

Ang Lai Lee
Deputy General Manager
Group Corporate Communications
Keppel Corporation
[email protected]
Tel +65 6413 6427

business unit