- Total orders of $28.7 billion, down 4%; organic orders up 4%; total revenues (GAAP) of $28.8 billion, down 1%; Industrial segment organic revenues (non-GAAP) of $27.7 billion, up 7%
- GE Industrial profit margin (GAAP) of (1.3)%; adjusted GE Industrial profit margin (non-GAAP) of 7.6%
- Continuing EPS (GAAP) of $(0.03); adjusted EPS (non-GAAP) of $0.17, including $0.06 benefit from tax audit resolution
- Non-cash goodwill impairment charge of $744 million pre-tax related to Grid Solutions equipment and services, resulting in $(0.09) impact to continuing EPS (GAAP)
- GE CFOA (GAAP) of $42 million; adjusted GE Industrial free cash flows (non-GAAP) of $(1.0) billion
- Increasing 2019 outlook for Industrial segment organic revenues growth to the mid-single-digit range, adjusted EPS to $0.55 - $0.65, and GE Industrial free cash flows to $(1) - $1 billion
BOSTON - July 31, 2019 - GE (NYSE:GE) announced results today for the second quarter ending June 30, 2019.
GE Chairman and CEO H. Lawrence Culp, Jr. said, “We made steady progress on our strategic priorities in the second quarter. Our top-line growth was solid, and Power made meaningful improvements on fixed cost reduction and project execution. Margins contracted due to declines in Power, Renewable Energy, and to a lesser extent Aviation, with the first half of 2019 in line with our full-year outlook. We also moved our Grid Solutions equipment and services business to Renewable Energy to offer end-to-end clean energy solutions and moved our Grid Solutions software business to Digital, which resulted in a non-cash goodwill impairment charge.”
Culp continued, “Due to improvements at Power, lower restructuring and interest, higher earnings, and better visibility at the half, we are raising our full-year outlook for Industrial segment organic revenues, adjusted EPS, and Industrial free cash flows, and we are holding our margin guidance. We will continue to take planned actions to improve our businesses and monitor some market headwinds, and we remain focused on driving continuous improvement and delivering for our customers. I am encouraged by our team’s progress and dedication to date.
During the second quarter, GE continued to take action to improve its financial position and strengthen its businesses. As previously reported, the Company sold down its stake in Wabtec Corporation from ~25% to ~12%, resulting in $1.8 billion of cash proceeds. GE Capital reduced external debt by $2 billion, and as a part of its asset reduction plan, reduced assets by more than $500 million.
Read the full results on GE's Investor Relations website.
Please visit our investor website for full information:
Caution Concerning Forward Looking Statements:
This section contains important information about our forward-looking statements. Please also see our annual reports on Form 10-K and quarterly reports on Form 10-Q that we file with the SEC and that you can find on our website by clicking here.
Our public communications and SEC filings may contain statements related to future, not past, events. These forward-looking statements often address our expected future business and financial performance and financial condition, and often contain words such as "expect," "anticipate," "intend," "plan," "believe," "seek," "see," "will," "would," "estimate," "forecast," "target," "preliminary," or "range." Forward-looking statements by their nature address matters that are, to different degrees, uncertain, such as statements about our expected financial performance, including cash flows, revenues, organic growth, margins, earnings and earnings per share; macroeconomic and market conditions; planned and potential business or asset dispositions; our de-leveraging plans, including leverage ratios and targets, the timing and nature of actions to reduce indebtedness and our credit ratings and outlooks; GE’s and GE Capital’s funding and liquidity; our businesses’ cost structures and plans to reduce costs; restructuring, goodwill impairment or other financial charges; or tax rates.
For us, particular uncertainties that could cause our actual results to be materially different than those expressed in our forward-looking statements include:
- our success in executing and completing, including obtaining regulatory approvals and satisfying other closing conditions for, announced GE Industrial and GE Capital business or asset dispositions or other transactions, including the planned sale of our BioPharma business within our Healthcare segment and plans to exit our equity ownership positions in Baker Hughes, a GE company (BHGE) and Wabtec Corporation (Wabtec), the timing of closing for those transactions and the expected proceeds and benefits to GE;
- our de-leveraging and capital allocation plans, including with respect to actions to reduce our indebtedness, the timing and amount of GE dividends, organic investments, and other priorities;
- further downgrades of our current short- and long-term credit ratings or ratings outlooks, or changes in rating application or methodology, and the related impact on our liquidity, funding profile, costs and competitive position;
- GE’s liquidity and the amount and timing of our GE Industrial cash flows and earnings, which may be impacted by customer, competitive, contractual and other dynamics and conditions;
- GE Capital's capital and liquidity needs, including in connection with GE Capital’s run-off insurance operations, the amount and timing of required capital contributions and related strategic actions that we may pursue; the impact of conditions in the financial and credit markets on GE Capital's ability to sell financial assets; the availability and cost of funding; and GE Capital's exposure to particular counterparties and markets;
- the results of our annual GAAP premium deficiency testing for GE Capital’s run-off insurance operations, which we expect to be completed in the third quarter of 2019;
- changes in macroeconomic conditions, particularly interest rates, as well as the value of stocks and other financial assets (including our equity ownership positions in BHGE and Wabtec), oil and other commodity prices and exchange rates;
- market developments or customer actions that may affect levels of demand and the financial performance of the major industries and customers we serve, such as secular and cyclical pressures in our Power business, pricing and other pressures in the renewable energy market, conditions in China and other key markets, early aircraft retirements, and other shifts in the competitive landscape for our products and services;
- operational execution by our businesses, including our ability to improve the operations and execution of our Power business, execution by our Renewable Energy business, and the continued strength of our Aviation business;
- changes in law, regulation or policy that may affect our businesses, such as trade policy and tariffs, regulation related to climate change, and the effects of U.S. tax reform and other tax law changes;
- our decisions about investments in new products, services and platforms, and our ability to launch new products in a cost-effective manner;
- our ability to increase margins through implementation of operational changes, restructuring and other cost reduction measures;
- the impact of actual or potential failures of our products or our customers’ products, such as the fleet grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX, and related reputational effects;
- the impact of potential information technology, cybersecurity or data security breaches;
- the other factors that are described in "Forward-Looking Statements" in BHGE’s most recent earnings release or SEC filings; and
- the other factors that are described in "Risk Factors" in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2018, as updated in our Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q.
These or other uncertainties may cause our actual future results to be materially different than those expressed in our forward-looking statements. We do not undertake to update our forward-looking statements.
Our public communications and SEC filings may include certain forward-looking projected financial information that is based on current estimates and forecasts. Actual results could differ materially.
General Electric Capital Corporation (GECC) has been merged into GE and our financial services business is now operated by GE Capital Global Holdings, LLC (GECGH). In our public communications and SEC filings, we refer to GECC and GECGH as “GE Capital”. We refer to the industrial businesses of the Company including GE Capital on an equity basis as “GE”. “GE (ex-GE Capital)” and /or “Industrial” refer to GE excluding GE Capital. Our financial services segment previously referred to as GE Capital is now referred to as Capital.
GE’s Investor Relations website at www.ge.com/investor and our corporate blog at www.gereports.com, as well as GE’s Facebook page and Twitter accounts, contain a significant amount of information about GE, including financial and other information for investors. GE encourages investors to visit these websites from time to time, as information is updated and new information is posted.
Supplemental Financial Information
Supplemental financial information can be found on the Company’s website at: ge.com/investor under Events and Reports.
Conference Call and Webcast
GE will discuss its results during its investor conference call today starting at 8:00 a.m. ET. The conference call will be broadcast live via webcast, and the webcast and accompanying slide presentation containing financial information can be accessed by visiting the Events and Reports page on GE’s website at: www.ge.com/investor. An archived version of the webcast will be available on the website after the call.
GE (NYSE:GE) drives the world forward by tackling its biggest challenges. By combining world-class engineering with software and analytics, GE helps the world work more efficiently, reliably, and safely. For more than 125 years, GE has invented the future of industry, and today it leads new paradigms in additive manufacturing, materials science, and data analytics. GE people are global, diverse and dedicated, operating with the highest integrity and passion to fulfill GE’s mission and deliver for our customers. www.ge.com
GE Investor Contacts:
Steve Winoker, 617.443.3400
GE Media Contact:
Jennifer Erickson, 646.682.5620
+1 646 682 5620