Walking through your local electronics store, you would likely find that the majority of all high color quality LCD backlight displays (TVs, CPU monitors, cell phones, tablets) contain technology developed at GE Research. Our LED Phosphors team has world class chemistry and physics expertise as well characterization capabilities that have resulted in commercial successes in both lighting and LCD display technologies. Multi-million dollar yearly revenue, multiple awards, hundreds of patents, >20 licensees of our patents, along with various publications and invited conference presentations show that this team is on the cutting edge of luminescent material development and can go from concept to invention to commercialization. At our core, we have synthesis and processing expertise of inorganic powders and the ability to scale these processes in a controlled manner.
Additionally, we have the expertise to use our unique characterization capabilities to make luminescent materials more reliable for longer lasting and higher quality lighting and display products. We have both steady state and time resolved spectroscopy, accelerated life tests for improved reliability under high temperature, humidity and blue light flux, particle size analysis, and quantum efficiency and absorbance measurement capabilities to optimize phosphor compositions. Additionally, our expertise around coating phosphors and surface chemistry allow for improved dispersion in silicones, photoresists and polyacrylates.
Over 30 billion LEDs that contain our developed LED phosphor technology have been sold into commercial displays in less than 5 years. Our technology can be found in (only a partial list):
- Smart phones by Samsung, Apple, Huawei, LG, BLU, Razer, Red
- Laptops and monitors by HP, Lenovo, Dell, Asus, Apple, Microsoft, Razer, MSI, Samsung, LG
- Tablets by Apple, Samsung, Lenovo, Huawei, Microsoft, Asus
- Televisions by Samsung, LG, Sony, Vizio, TCL, Hisense, Toshiba, Insignia, Sharp
Additionally, this same technology has been incorporated into a variety of GE Lighting products to produce more energy efficient warm white light.
In just 3 years PFS has gained rapid acceptance in displays where it is now the leading red material for wide color gamut LCD BLUs – Yole Report 2017
Capabilities utilized for Narrow-Band LED Phosphors Enabling Wide Color Gamut Displays project
From synthesis to sintering, we innovate new ceramic products to bring to market across industrial sectorsRead more
Developing novel and cost-effective coating technologies that enable next generation products, market opportunities, and valueRead more
Energy Storage & Conversion
With high performance capabilities and state-of-the-art equipment, we have experience in low and high temperature energy storage and conversionRead more
Inspecting a material's chemical, microstructure and physical properties to provide quality, market-ready products to meet consumer demandsRead more
Material Reliability Testing
Offering world class expertise and capability in assessing and mitigating environmental degradation of materialsRead more
Continuing to lead the successful development of visible LEDs, semiconductor lasers, fluorescent lamps and ceramic scintillatorsRead more
- Murphy, James E., Garcia‐Santamaria, Florencio, Setlur, Anant A., Sista, Srinivas, ( 2015), 62.4: PFS, K2SiF6:Mn4+: the Red‐line Emitting LED Phosphor behind GE's TriGain Technology™ Platform, SID Symposium Digest of Technical Papers, 46, doi: 10.1002/sdtp.10406.
- Garcia-Santamaria, F., Murphy, J.E., Setlur, A.A. and Sista, S.P., 2018. Concentration quenching in K2SiF6: Mn4+ phosphors. ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology, 7(1), pp.R3030-R3033.