Heat Recovery Steam Generator (HRSG) Technical Expertise and Operational Support
Optimize Maintenance and Improve Life
HRSGs are now required to endure significant cyclic and long-term high temperature operation, which can result in fatigue and creep damage to certain components, which can ultimately lead to cracking and failure. Certain events such as rapid cooling, improper drain operation, low load operation or inadequate maintenance can produce significant temperature differentials and very high thermal stresses that are not detectable with normal plant DCS instrumentation. The HRSG Remote Monitoring and Diagnostics Service provides a significant value to the plant owner, delivering information that can be used to improve the life expectancy of an HRSG, or optimize the maintenance program.
- Trade-off opportunities against lifetime
- Optimize outage scope (set priorities)
- Highlighting abnormal operation
- Input for Root Cause Analysis
For Reliable HRSG Operation After a Performance Upgrade of the Gas Turbine
Combined-cycle power plant operators typically implement several gas turbine performance upgrades over the lifecycle of the plant.
A gas turbine upgrade can:
- Push components outside of ASME Code Compliance (design pressure, design temperature, safety valve capacity)
- Cause non-pressure part materials to operate above design temperatures
- Impact current operation and future reliability of DESHs, valves, and instrumentation
In an HRSG gas turbine upgrade study, GE reviews the different areas of the HRSG that could be impacted by the changes at the HRSG inlet. Where needed, measures will be proposed to address any safety, reliability, lifetime, code compliance, or performance impacts.
- Continued safe and reliable operation after the GT performance upgrade
Comprehensive Metallurgical Services
GE’s metallurgists perform in-depth investigations to determine the cause of tube failures. With each analysis, we provide useful definitive recommendations that our customers can act on to improve their stations’ availability and to extend the life of power plant components. These recommendations complement what we believe is the most comprehensive metallurgical service in the industry.
- Identification of active damage mechanisms within the boiler
- Recommendations for appropriate corrective action
- Remaining life estimates
Reliable Operation Under Various Operation Conditions
Optimized Operation to Maximize Revenue
HRSGs are subject to cyclic operation as well as periods of operation at high load, resulting in fatigue and creep damage accumulation in key pressure parts. Because HRSG life expectancy is affected by the operation profile of the combined-cycle power plant, it is important to understand how these start/stop cycles (as well as prolonged periods of high load operation) impact component and system life.
GE can provide HRSG life assessments to help you determine critical components and operating practices, take action to prevent costly failures, improve reliability, and optimize HRSG lifetime in relation to other plant components.
- Lifetime management for enhanced longevity and reliability
- Optimization of inspection scope based on knowledge of critical components
- Change to more flexible operation