Primary Frequency Control Upgrade
Primary Frequency Control (PFC) enables a customized frequency response to maintain grid stability. The PFC frequency response algorithm replaces the tuning of regular droop speed controls, which are standard on any turbine. The algorithm is customized to meet specific grid requirements and can enable operation of plant equipment continuously between 47-52 Hz.
- Meet Regulatory Requirements
What Can Upgrading Do for You?
- Maintains correct frequency for turbine/generator by adjusting the total MW output.
- Capability for the equipment to react immediately when system frequency is beyond dead band limits.
- More accurate grid frequency measurements.
- Continuously maintain required reserves in line with grid fluctuations.
- Allows customer control on their reserve in line with the resultant deviations in the system frequency.
- Incorporation of latest fuel core includes 25 software improvements focused on:
- SPRINT® and NOx water schedule optimization (reduced chance of water in the turbine lube oil)
- Expanded operating ranges on PS3, T2, and T3
- Improved trip reduction
- Integrated SPRINT® and NOx water schedule benefits:
- NOx water active during fuel transfers.
- SPRINT® water flow dependent from fuel flow.
- Variable SPRINT® modulates water flow to better accommodate load following and lower water consumption in base load operations.
How we get you there
- Immediately activates when the grid frequency is not within the set dead band limits and responds within 30 seconds.
- Turbine power will increase or decrease in response to any sudden changes.
- Allows dispatch operations to set a reserve power setting (from 65% power to base load) to allow automatic increase or decrease in power during grid frequency shifts.
- Enables operation of the plant and equipment continuously between 47.5-52.0 Hz and for at least 20 seconds between 47.0-47.5 Hz.
- Designed to be enabled/disabled from a local HMI or via remote operations.
- An optional high-speed datalog is available with sensitivity to 10 mHz.
Applicable Turbine Models
- LM2500, LM6000, LMS100
To see pricing information, request a quote.