POWERING IRAQ FORWARD
Phase 3 of the Besmaya power plant project is under way: In coordination with the Iraqi Ministry of Energy and Mass Energy Group Holding (MGH), GE will provide 4 gas turbines and 4 generators to MGH, boosting the Besmaya plant’s electricity output from 3,000 MW to 4,500 MW—and adding 1,500 MW to the national grid to help meet the needs of Iraq’s residents and the country’s growing economy.
GE’s power projects in Iraq
A trusted partner for decades
Our presence in Iraq is based on a history of trust, partnership, and success. Together, we can continue our work to elevate the Iraqi electricity sector and develop new infrastructure and power generation solutions.
|Increase power capacity with new generation, upgrades, rehabilitation, and maintenance services|
- Secure the availability of 7 GW that are currently operating and deliver 1.5 GW of additional power by 2019 through fast power technologies and upgrades at existing power plant sites – the equivalent electricity needed to supply up to 1.5 million additional Iraqi homes.
- Bring a total of 14 GW of new power generation capacity online to support growing power consumer needs.
- Help the government realize savings and recover losses of up to $3 billion per year.
- Integrate the capture of flared gas and power generation using GE’s advanced gas-to-power technologies.
|TRANSMISSION & DISTRIBUTION|
|Strengthen the national grid from North to South|
- Improve grid availability and lower transmission losses.
- Build a centralized energy management system covering generation, transmission and distribution.
- Develop modern substations and overhead lines across the country.
|Advanced facilities, skills and jobs for the present and future generations|
- Establish a local technology center comprising a repairs center, a monitoring & diagnostics center and a training center.
- Develop plant operations, maintenance, repairs and servicing skills in Iraq for Iraq.
- Help to create up to 65,000 direct and indirect jobs.
|HEALTH AND WELLNESS|
|Improving community health and addressing water scarcity|
- Help decrease the newborn infant mortality rate with neonatal intensive care equipment.
- Train nursing staff at a neonatal intensive care center.
- Provide three trailer-mounted mobile water treatment units to help deliver drinking water to meet the everyday needs of the people of Basra.
Iraq in focus
Explore some of our recent power projects and case studies
Solutions you can see
Take a look to see the work we’re doing in Iraq and hear from our employees on why they’re proud to be building a modern Iraq.