Oil and Gas Software
Asset Health & Condition Monitoring, Digital Asset Strategy Management, Asset Integrity Management, Reliability Analysis Software
Asset Performance Management (APM) Software
As the custodian of Malaysia’s national oil and gas resources, Petronas finds itself at the crossroads of changing market pressures, and the critical role it plays in powering the region.
Our industry is experiencing significant new pressures, which have been made more urgent by COVID-19 lockdowns. We’re grateful our APM journey was well underway when the pandemic struck, because we feel prepared to provide continuity of service without disruption.
Firdaus Hasani - Head of Digital Manufacturing (Downstream Business) at Petronas
Balancing Safety and Efficiency in a Changing Market
The oil and gas industry is going through significant change. Prices are prone to boom and bust cycles and at times are erratic. The low-carbon sustainability movement has disrupted the regulatory environment and is putting pressure on consumers to seek alternative energy sources. At the same time, process safety incidents at other companies put a spotlight on the risky industry Petronas operates within.
Although a sophisticated business, there were significant constraints on the day-to-day downstream processing operation. Manual, non-standardized work processes, disconnected systems and a reactive approach to maintenance were no longer viable operating conditions and needed to be addressed.
With advancing, proven new digital technologies, Petronas was confident it could become measurably more efficient while still operating with high safety standards.
Operational Excellence Initiative Standardizes Processes and Empowers Teams
From need and opportunity, Petronas launched an operational excellence initiative.
The team is working with GE Digital to:
- Standardize work processes across functions
- Document and retain management system knowledge
- Empower decision making close to where the action happens
The solution is comprised of three products from GE Digital:
- Asset Performance Management offers real-time health insights on critical assets
- Asset Answers provides online performance benchmarks
- Proficy Historian collects and normalizes data across the operation
New Insights Turn Uncertainty Into Efficiency
Real-time asset health is turning uncertainty into efficiency at Petronas. In just a few months, the team has already identified thousands of risks and recommended actions that move the operation from time-based to preventive maintenance. This new insight increases availability, reduces costs, and provides greater confidence in the operation as a whole.
- 2600+ health indicators under active monitoring
- 2800+ Failure Mode & Effects Analysis (FMEA) completed
- 34,500+ risks identified
- 36,300 actions recommended
Our customers tell it best
In the following video, Firdaus Hasani, Head of System and Work Process Digital Tools at PETRONAS discusses:
- The process of identifying and deploying a set of enabling technology tools to support the implementation of work processes in the Downstream Business
- Aligning the selection of tools to their work process requirements
- Ensuring the tools support the efficient execution of the work processes. Goal: Achieve seamless integration between work processes and digital
Firdaus Hasani, Snr. Manager, System and Work Process Tools, PETRONAS Firdaus started as Instrument & Control engineer and a certified Functional Safety Engineer by TUV Rheinland back in 2005. He has 14 years of experience in maintenance, project engineering, and transformation initiatives in PETRONAS. Currently he is heading the digital portfolio under the Downstream OE R2 Transformation and has successfully deployed various digital tool in Downstream Business. Amongst the tool is POINT App that has successfully demonstrated 33% improvement in Operators productivity.