Answering questions to help optimize performance
APM helps you answer these questions:
- How critical is this asset?
- What is the history of this asset, and what is its current health?
- In what ways can this asset fail, how can I mitigate the risk of failure, and at what cost?
- What would be the consequences of this asset’s failure on my business?
- What action should be taken now to prevent failure?
- What should be our overall strategy for this asset to optimize business objectives?
- How can I more efficiently manage and maintain less critical assets so they don’t become a problem in the future?
Asset performance management in action
By using Predix APM from GE Digital, the Whitegate power plant in Ireland has a single, consolidated view of the entire plant and identifies early warnings of anomalies 24/7, reducing costs and improving efficiency.
RasGas, a liquid natural gas (LNG) producer based in Qatar, is using APM and Predix Platform, the platform for the Industrial Internet, to help extend the life and efficiency of its machines. APM helps RasGas get a holistic view of its assets, analyze data, share information across the enterprise, and identify areas of improvement.
Bruce Power was able to optimize availability to their customers in Ontario, Canada, by implementing APM.
Xcel Energy improved efficiency and accountability, saving 2,000 hours in one year with event assessments tracking in APM.
With APM, Sabic was able to improve MTBF for pipes from 172 days to more than 2,125 days, a 1,135% improvement.
As part of an effort to adopt more flexible structures, Gerdau, one of the world’s largest suppliers of speciality steel, implemented APM. Watch more.