GE's 2013 Annual Report reinforces the key strategic importance of our efforts to harness the power of the Industrial Internet in order to deliver customer outcomes. In his letter to share owners, CEO and Chairman Jeff Immelt writes, "We believe that every industrial company will become a software company… Our customers want our assets to operate with no unplanned downtime and optimal performance. We call our data solutions "Predictivity," and so far, we have launched 24 offerings generating $800 million of incremental revenue. We expect Predictivity revenues to exceed $1 billion in 2014.
As proof points for this vision, the report includes snapshots of five Predictivity solutions in action across different verticals:
- Oil & Gas — To improve plant performance, Australia's QGC Queensland Curtis liquefied natural gas (LNG) plant turned to GE Oil & Gas and the LNG Max Reliability solution to remotely track and advise on the performance of the plant’s equipment, including 15 GE aeroderivative gas turbines and 28 centrifugal compressors.
- Power Generation — Dubai Aluminium (DUBAL) was the first GE customer to adopt our Advanced Gas Path (AGP) technology -- part of our Power LifeMax™ portfolio of hardware and software blended solutions -- for its installed 9E gas turbines, powering one of the world’s largest aluminum smelters. AGP can deliver industry-leading upgrade performance, reduce fuel consumption and extend the life of turbine assets.
- Transportation — By analyzing performance data, the RailConnect 360 M&D system enables proactive repairs and more informed routing decisions for customers like Vale, a global mining company headquartered in Brazil. The system has helped maximize Vale’s locomotive productivity, reducing shop cycle time and increasing line availability.
- Aviation — Intelligent Operations Service, developed and provided by Taleris, a joint venture between GE and Accenture, is now being used to analyze data from equipment and systems to help predict and prevent maintenance issues for Etihad Airways and other customers. An average domestic airline using Intelligent Operations could avoid 1,000 delayed departures or flight cancellations per year.
- Healthcare — Centricity 360™ employs a secure, cloud-based platform to help teams of physicians simultaneously access images and reports, and collaborate on diagnosis and treatment plans.