GE established a presence in Laos in 2017 with its representative office located in Vientiane. We seek opportunities to engage and assist in Lao PDR’s future development, especially some of the infrastructure programs in the 8th National Socio-Economic Plan which paves the way towards the nation’s graduation from Least Developed Countries (LDC) status.
As a vastly experienced provider of solutions for the world’s toughest challenges in energy, healthcare, and more, GE brings global expertise, technology, innovation, and insight to a wide range of infrastructure initiatives. We are also equally keen to support Lao PDR’s development through human capacity building engagement.
We operate across a number of business sectors in Laos:
GE Aviation is a world-leading provider of commercial, military and business and general aviation jet and turboprop engines and components as well as avionics, electrical power and mechanical systems for aircraft with a global service network to support these offerings.
GE Healthcare provides transformational medical technologies and services that are shaping a new age in patient care. Our broad expertise in medical imaging and information technologies, medical diagnostics, patient monitoring systems, drug discovery, biopharmaceutical manufacturing technologies, performance improvement and performance solutions services help our customers to implement a successful shift to sustainable healthcare systems.
In December 2017, GE Healthcare in collaboration with Luang Prabang Provincial Hospital unveiled its newly installed high-performance computer tomography (CT) scanner. The CT scanner is one of the first CT machines installed in the country – raising the standard of healthcare in Laos and providing better healthcare access to its northern region
GE Power is a world leader in power generation with deep domain expertise to help customers deliver electricity from a wide spectrum of fuel sources. GE Power is transforming the electricity industry with the digital power plant, the world’s largest and most efficient gas turbine, full balance of plant, upgrade and service solutions as well as our data-leveraging software. Our innovative technologies and digital offerings help make power more affordable, reliable, accessible and sustainable.
GE Renewable Energy designs and deploys industry-leading technologies that turn the world on. The business transports, converts, automates and optimizes energy to safe, efficient and reliable electrical power. Uniting all the resources and scale of the world’s first digital industrial company, Energy Connections connects brilliant machines, grids, and systems to power utility, oil & gas, marine, mining and renewables customers, that keep our world running.
GE currently provides equipment and services to various grid networks in Laos including:
- Nabong 500/230KV
- Xayaburi HPP 1,260MW-525KV/115KV/16KV
- Nam Ngum 2 HPP 2X205MW
- Nam Ngum 3HPP-115/22KV SS
- Hongsa Lignite Mine-Mouth CFPP 3X600MW
- Pak Mong -115/22KV SS
- Xenamnoy 2-Xekatam1 HPP
For hydro, GE has provided electro mechanical equipment for the following projects;
- Don Sahong – 260 MW/li>
- Theu Hinboun 1, 2 – total 210 MW
- Houay Ho 1, 2 – total 150 MW
We value partnerships
Coinciding with the historic visit made by President Obama to Laos in September 2016, GE and Electricite du Laos (EDL) signed a Memorandum of Understanding to launch joint research and training programs to support Hydro Power Generation Developments and the Electrical Grid in Laos. These initiatives are designed to complement the long-term development of the nation’s energy sector and underpin Lao PDR’s aim to become a key power generation source of the ASEAN region.
The partnership includes;
- The design and development of Hydro curriculum and technical training and development of hydro workforce.
- Since the MoU signing in September 2016, more than 400 hydro power professionals from EDL, EDL-Gen, students from the National University of Laos, Polytechnic College and various private organizations in the Hydro Power Plant Industry have attended hydro technical, finance and safety workshops.
- GE has refurbished a welding laboratory at Polytechnic College, donated safety welding equipment as well as 8 welding machines along with the welding materials. There are approximately 400-500 students attending the welding session every school year since 2016-2017.
- A national grid study report has been conducted by GE Energy Consulting with the aim to contribute to the security and reliability of EDL’s transmission network. The final report was done and handed over to EDL and Ministry of Energy and Mines by October 2018 followed by a training session on network modeling software.
GE Lao PDR
Samsenthai Road, Nongdouang Nuea
Royal Square Building, 3rd floor, Toong #R11
Vientiane, Lao PDR
Tel: +856 20 5552 8119