GE understands solving the world’s toughest problems through advanced manufacturing techniques and processes requires collaboration. By crowdsourcing innovation—both internally and externally—GE is improving customer value and driving advancements across industries. By sourcing and supporting innovative ideas, wherever they might come from, and applying GE’s scale and expertise, GE’s approach to open innovation is helping to address customer needs more efficiently and effectively.
Open Innovation Manifesto
We believe openness leads to inventiveness and usefulness.
We also believe that it’s impossible for any organization to have all the best ideas, and we strive to collaborate with experts and entrepreneurs everywhere who share our passion to solve some of the world’s most pressing issues.
We’re initiating a fundamental shift in the way we do business - this is what we’ll stand for in our open collaboration efforts and how we will operate.
- Customer focus, imagination, courage, expertise, inclusiveness, and clear thinking will always guide our collaborative effort.
- We will openly celebrate the efforts of lead solvers who have submitted winning solutions within our public collaborations.
- We’ll collaborate with transparency – publishing evaluation criteria, rules, compensation and IP rights at the launch of our engagements.
- We believe ideas should be compensated - and compensation pools will always reflect level of impact, effort, commercialization risk and IP rights.
- We’ll provide access to pools of IP to enable the Global Brain to create new and beneficial outcomes.
- We’ll never stop experimenting, collaborating and learning – we’ll get smarter as we go, and the Global Brain will evolve and grow with us.
- Fit to Print: Jet Engine Bracket from Indonesia Wins 3D Printing Challenge
- The Finest Print: GE Challenges Innovators to Design Jet Engine Parts, Print in 3D Complex Healthcare Components
- Make Your Move: Makers Respond to GE 3D Printing Challenge, Send 100s of Designs
- Meet the Makers: 3D Printing Design Challenge Finalists Have Global Roots
GE continues to launch a variety of open innovation challenges and inviting the global community to provide ideas, proposals and technologies that can help us build a better tomorrow:
- Unimpossible Missions: The University Edition (open through June 14)
- GE Lighting EMEA – Light the Way: Concepts for the Future of Office Lighting Challenge (Under evaluation)
- GE Healthcare + Ochnser Health Systems with Idea Village - Wear Your Health Innovation Challenge (View Phase I winners here; Phase 2 winners announcing March 16 @ NOEW 2016!)
- GE + Statoil Powering Collaboration – Innovative Sand & Water Technologies in Onshore Operations Challenge (Topic 1 winners announced here; Topic 2 winners announced here)
GE has hosted a variety of campaigns, inviting entrepreneurs, companies and other institutions to offer their solutions to these high impact challenges. Learn more about the campaign and winners here:
- GE Current – Light the Intelligent World App Ideation Challenge
- GE Industrial Remix Challenge (View the winners here!)
- GE ecomagination & GE Water Solving Scarcity through Water Reuse: Data Science Innovation Challenge