GE understands solving the world’s toughest problems through advanced manufacturing techniques and processes requires collaboration. By crowdsourcing innovation—both internally and externally—GE is improving customer value and driving advancements across industries. By sourcing and supporting innovative ideas, wherever they might come from, and applying GE’s scale and expertise, GE’s approach to open innovation is helping to address customer needs more efficiently and effectively.
Open Innovation Manifesto
We believe openness leads to inventiveness and usefulness.
We also believe that it’s impossible for any organization to have all the best ideas, and we strive to collaborate with experts and entrepreneurs everywhere who share our passion to solve some of the world’s most pressing issues.
We’re initiating a fundamental shift in the way we do business - this is what we’ll stand for in our open collaboration efforts and how we will operate.
- Customer focus, imagination, courage, expertise, inclusiveness, and clear thinking will always guide our collaborative effort.
- We will openly celebrate the efforts of lead solvers who have submitted winning solutions within our public collaborations.
- We’ll collaborate with transparency – publishing evaluation criteria, rules, compensation and IP rights at the launch of our engagements.
- We believe ideas should be compensated - and compensation pools will always reflect level of impact, effort, commercialization risk and IP rights.
- We’ll provide access to pools of IP to enable the Global Brain to create new and beneficial outcomes.
- We’ll never stop experimenting, collaborating and learning – we’ll get smarter as we go, and the Global Brain will evolve and grow with us.
- Fit to Print: Jet Engine Bracket from Indonesia Wins 3D Printing Challenge
- The Finest Print: GE Challenges Innovators to Design Jet Engine Parts, Print in 3D Complex Healthcare Components
- Make Your Move: Makers Respond to GE 3D Printing Challenge, Send 100s of Designs
- Meet the Makers: 3D Printing Design Challenge Finalists Have Global Roots
GE continues to launch a variety of open innovation challenges and inviting the global community to provide ideas, proposals and technologies that can help us build a better tomorrow:
- GE + Statoil Powering Collaboration – Innovative Sand & Water Technologies in Onshore Operations Challenge (open through Apr 28)
- GE GHG ecomagination Innovation Challenge (Energy Efficiency Solutions for Canada’s Oil Sands) (Topic 1 winner announcements & Topic 2 launch on Feb 3)
- GE Aviation High Accuracy, High Throughput Inspection Technologies Challenge (extended to Feb 24)
- GE Aviation Alternative Manufacturing of Aviation Castings Challenge (extended to Feb 18)
- GE Water and Process Technologies Challenge (closed; proposals currently under evaluation)
GE launched two additive manufacturing QUESTS in June 2013 that invited entrepreneurs, companies and institutions to offer their solutions to two additive manufacturing challenges:
- 3D Printing Design Quest: Redesign the Aircraft Engine Bracket
- 3D Printing Production Quest: High Precision and Advanced Materials
- GE GHG ecomagination Innovation Challenge (Energy Efficiency Solutions for Canada’s Oil Sands)(open through Sept 30)
- GE + Saudi Aramco ecomagination Challenge (Renewable Energy Solutions for Seawater Desalination)
- GE Industrial Solutions Challenge (Ergonomic Circuit Breaker Handle)